Monday, August 28, 2006

Sleep . . .


. . . is the main activity.

Today I setup the stereo in the newly covered yurt where Zuva was born, and listened to the birthing music selection that we played for most of the time when Kim was in labour. The memories came flooding back and carried with them all the emotions of that extraordinary night.

I have processed a lot around the labour and what it put me through. Without playing down, even one little bit, what Kim went through, I also had my own not insignificant process. This was what we had hoped for and visualised - that she and I would essentially go through the labour together with minimal input from anyone else, and Beatle (our midwife) honoured this fully.

I had to revisit the birthing night a few times shortly afterwards, to release the emotions which I had held back on the night. During the labour I experienced waves of emotion, that if I had allowed myself to express them fully, would I suspect have made it difficult for Kim to feel fully supported as she processed the contraction pains, which were coming on top of each other for several hours.

In conversations with friends it occurred that to be a male support person is not common, and I had modest little preparation, apart from the usual ante natal classes. All that being said I wouldn't do it any other way. To be there for the entire labour and then at the end of it, greet my daughter and cut her cord, is a memory that will be with me forever.

No comments: